“Right after the flood damage in Weld County (Colorado) was assessed, Anadarko was the first to call – as always. Their large donation was instrumental in helping our neighbors begin to recover from the destruction. We can’t thank them enough for being so connected to Weld County and truly making a difference.”
— Judy Knapp
Former President & CEO of the Community Foundation Serving Greeley and Weld County
In times of urgent need affecting regions where we work and live, Anadarko acts quickly to provide support. A few notable examples include:
- When gale-force winds recently destroyed the homes of more than 5,000 Mozambican families and severely damaged public infrastructure in Cabo Delgado in the fall of 2016, Anadarko and its partners delivered building materials and hygiene and health equipment valued at $200,000 to the Institute for Disaster Management.
- In the wake of a devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake on the East Coast of New Zealand's South Island on Nov. 14, 2016, Anadarko made a $15,000 donation to the Red Cross's relief fund.
- In April 2016, massive rainfall, approaching 20 inches in places, caused wide-spread flooding in Houston resulted in a large recovery effort across the city. With thousands of homes damaged and more than 400 water rescues performed, Anadarko provided $100,000 to United Way to help residents of Montgomery County, Texas, get back on their feet. Additionally, employees were encouraged to make special contributions to the relief effort.
- In August 2014, Anadarko provided $100,000 to UNICEF to assist in response to the Ebola virus outbreak in Liberia. As a member of the Ebola National Task Force, UNICEF has procured and distributed a wide range of equipment and supplies to support case management and treatment, including tents, chlorine and sprayers for isolation units, as well as motorbikes and a jeep that was provided to the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare. UNICEF also plays a key role in social mobilization across affected communities nationwide, deploying teams of traditional communicators, including religious leaders, to remote areas to spread prevention messaging, equipped with posters and flipcharts.
- Also in 2014, in West Africa and in partnership with MedShare, Anadarko provided $125,000 to fund delivery of six containers of medical supplies to Liberia and Sierra Leone. These shipments included supplies for health services, comprising of tubing and adapters, resuscitation equipment, fluid collection bags, breathing bags, catheters, chilling units, microscope equipment, drains and dressing kits, feeding kits, surgical instruments, masks, gloves and gowns, needles and syringes. Learn more.
- In response to Cyclone Hellen’s impact on Mozambique in the spring of 2014, Anadarko, in coordination with National Institute for the Management of Disasters – Instituto Nacional de Gestão das Calamidades (INGC), provided funding for the purchase and distribution of hygiene kits and 25,000 sand bags in addition to food, water purification systems and building supplies.
- Catastrophic floods ravaged central Colorado in September 2013 devastating many northeastern Colorado families. In addition to securing its operations in the area as the floodwaters rose, Anadarko provided vital assistance to impacted neighbors and communities. Flood relief efforts included truckloads of food, water and supplies; gift cards to displaced families; a semi-truck of food for the Weld County Food Bank; hotel rooms for families displaced by the flooding; flood debris cleanup crews in Evans and Boulder; port-a-potties for residents in Evans; fence repair crews in Weld County; helicopters to assess damage for disaster relief personnel and a $500,000 contribution for flood relief efforts.
- Following severe flooding in Mozambique in 2013, Anadarko donated $500,000 to Save the Children to fund emergency shelter materials, hygiene kits, household materials, water-well repair and sanitation training.